Rain or shine, come to the Market every Sunday for fresh and delicious vegetables, fruit, meat, and more. Help support local farmers who, by growing food in sustainable ways, create a healthier food supply and a cleaner environment. And you can also recycle the following items at the ColorBrightonGreen.org table.
- Market’s dates and locations
- Our posts about recycling tips
- Our posts about recycling resources around Brighton.
ColorBrightonGreen.org will be making significant changes to our recycling program after June 16, 2019 because we are ramping up our educational efforts on other important environmental education issues. After June 16, 2019, we will be at the Brighton Farmers’ Market on the third Sunday each month and will be focusing on distributing information on important non-recycling climate actions that are needed to reduce carbon emissions.
Accepted recycling items through June 16, 2019
- EMPTY Prescription or over the counter bottles. NO PILLS. Labels can be blacked out with a marker or removed completely (NO GLUE or paper RESIDUE). You can also take these to the Monroe County Eco-Park. For more information from Monroe County about why you cannot put these empty bottles in your curbside recycling, and what happens to the bottles that are taken to the Monroe County Ecopark, see our green tip.
- Compact fluorescent lamps (CFL). You can also take these to stores like Home Depot or to the Monroe County EcoPark. (NO incandescent bulbs please, put those in trash.)
- Compact discs and DVDs
- Button, and rechargeable batteries ONLY. You can also take these to stores like Home Depot or to the Monroe County EcoPark. (NO Alkaline batteries)
- Small electronics such as cell phones, printer cartridges, keyboards, modems, etc. You can also take these to stores like Home Depot or to the Monroe County EcoPark.
- Sneakers (no shoes, boots, skates, cleats, light up or metal containing sneakers). Single sneakers ok. You can also take these to Fleet Feet stores in the Rochester area.
- Pull tabs from cans. You can also take these to the Monroe County EcoPark.
- Winter coats for project Homeless Connect
- Any coupons (up to 10 months out of date). These are being given to military families who are able to redeem them at 3 times the face value.
- Cardboard rolls that toilet paper and paper towels have in their center. These can go in your curbside recycle boxes, but we are accepting them because Edison Tech is sponsoring a project that needs hundreds of these.
- Reusable grocery bags are being collected to give to farmers who also sell their foods at the Ithaca Farmers Market. In Ithaca, farmers are not allowed to bag their items in single use bags. So, if you have some extra reusable bags, bring them our way.
- Musical instruments and accessories including music books and stands for use by the PUC Achieve Charter School located at 14 Mark Street in Rochester.
- Yarn is being collected to be used for a school project. When that project is done, we will continue to collect it for distribution to other organizations that we know will use it.
- Clean, worn towels and blankets that will be given to Lolly Pop Farm for use in caring for animals.
Items collected now and after June 16, 2019 (on 3rd Sundays)
- Gently used or unused school supplies
- Eyeglasses. You can also take these to Goodwill
- Large (2-3 gallon) pots for trees being grown for later planting
Recycled by Terracycle, Inc. (Collected by two ColorBrightonGreen.org volunteers)
- Personal care and beauty containers:
Including hair, skin, and make-up. Specifically: lipstick cases, mascara tubes, eye shadow cases,
shampoo bottles, conditioner bottles,bronzer cases, foundation packaging, body wash containers, soap tubes, soap dispensers, lotion dispensers, shaving foam tubes(no cans, they can go in blue box), powder cases, lotion bottles, chap stick tubes, lotion tubes, face soap dispensers, face soap tubes, face lotion bottles, face lotion jars, eyeliner cases, eyeliner pencils, eyeshadow tubes, concealer tubes, concealer sticks, lip liner pencils, hand lotion tubes, hair gel tubes, hair paste jars. Most items crossed out above are plastic bottles and should be rinsed out, clean caps reattached, and placed in your curbside recycle container.
- Oral care packaging:
Toothpaste tubes, toothpaste caps, toothbrushes, floss containers, mouthwash bottles, mouthwash caps, deodorant containers and caps, plastic soap wrappers. (No aerosol deodorant cans—put these in blue boxes.)
- Used Contact lens and blister packs:Biotrue® ONEday and other Bausch + Lomb brand contact lenses and Biotrue(R) ONEday and other Bausch + Lomb brand blister packs. We will also accept contact lenses and blister packs from all brands. Do not give us the cardboard packaging since that can be placed in your curbside recycle container.
- Brita Brand water filters (ONLY). Other water filters should be placed in the trash.
Items we DO NOT recycle
- Any items not listed above!
- Over the counter medicine bottles.
- Styrofoam: The EcoPark will take large, clean, white packing styrofoam with no tape on it.
- Egg Containers: some farmers at the market will take them.
- Plastic grocery bags, bread bags, newspaper bags, other thin plastic bags or plastic wrap: grocery stores take them for recycling in their “plastic bag” recycling bins.
- Pills or syringes of any sort.
Market dates and locations
- For information about the Market, visit the Brighton Farmers’ Market website. ColorBrightonGreen will be at the market once a month, on the third Sunday of the month after June 16, 2019.