Rain or shine, come to the Market every Sunday for fresh and delicious vegetables, fruit, meat, and more. Help support local farmers who, by growing food in sustainable ways, create a healthier food supply and a cleaner environment. And you can also recycle the following items at the ColorBrightonGreen.org table.
- Market’s dates and locations
- Our posts about recycling tips
- Our posts about recycling resources around Brighton.
ColorBrightonGreen.org is continuing to reconsider its Farmers’ Market Recycling due to many items being dropped off that we do not accept and the amount of time it takes volunteers to sort through and put unacceptable items in the trash.
- Please adhere to the below list so that this service can continue.
- If you would like to help, we welcome your assistance. Contact us to volunteer.
Accepted recycling items
- EMPTY ORANGE (ONLY ORANGE) prescription (Rx) bottles, caps on, personal information blacked out (NO PILLS OR OVER THE COUNTER BOTTLES please!) Please leave labels ON the bottles and just black out your name and address or ONLY remove the labels if they can come CLEANLY off with no residue left behind.
- Compact fluorescent lamps (CFL). (NO incandescent bulbs please, put those in trash.)
- Compact discs and DVDs
- Button, and rechargeable batteries ONLY (NO Alkaline batteries–we have no place to recycle them as of December 1, 2017)
- Small electronics such as cell phones, printer cartridges, keyboards, modems, etc.
- Sneakers (no shoes, boots, skates, cleats, light up or metal containing sneakers). Single sneakers ok.
- Brita brand filters ONLY (Other water filters should be put in trash.)
- Gently used or unused school supplies
- Pull tabs from cans
- Eclipse glasses (being given to Astronomers Without Borders)
- Color Brighton Green is starting a tree planting program to plant affordable, native trees around Brighton. In order to start this program we are looking for 2 or 3 gallon black nursery pots to start our trees in. Used pots are preferred but we will accept new ones. Please feel free to drop them off at our table at the farmer’s market. We are looking to collect about 60 pots
- Winter coats for project Homeless Connect
Recycled by Terracycle, Inc.
Collected by a ColorBrightonGreen.org volunteer:
- Personal care and beauty containers:
Including hair, skin, and make-up. Specifically: lipstick cases, mascara tubes, eye shadow cases,
shampoo bottles, conditioner bottles,bronzer cases, foundation packaging, body wash containers, soap tubes, soap dispensers, lotion dispensers, shaving foam tubes(no cans, they can go in blue box), powder cases, lotion bottles, chap stick tubes, lotion tubes, face soap dispensers, face soap tubes, face lotion bottles, face lotion jars, eyeliner cases, eyeliner pencils, eyeshadow tubes, concealer tubes, concealer sticks, lip liner pencils, hand lotion tubes, hair gel tubes, hair paste jars. MostItems crossed out above are plastics labeled #1-#7 and should be rinsed out and placed in your blue box.
- Oral care packaging:
Toothpaste tubes, toothpaste caps, toothbrushes, floss containers, mouthwash bottles, mouthwash caps, deodorant containers and caps, plastic soap wrappers. (No aerosol deodorant cans—put these in blue boxes.)
- Used Contact lens and blister packs:Biotrue® ONEday and other Bausch + Lomb brand contact lenses and Biotrue(R) ONEday and other Bausch + Lomb brand blister packs. We will also accept contact lenses and blister packs from all brands. Do not give us the cardboard packaging since that can be placed in your curbside recycle container.
Other Accepted Items
Any coupons (up to 10 months out of date). These are being given to military families who are able to redeem them at 3 times the face value.
Cardboard rolls that toilet paper and paper towels have in their center. These can go in your blue recycle boxes, but we are accepting them because Edison Tech is sponsoring a project that needs hundreds of these.
Reusable grocery bags are being collected to give to farmers who also sell their foods at the Ithaca Farmers Market. In Ithaca, farmers are not allowed to bag their items in single use bags. So, if you have some extra reusable bags, bring them our way.
Musical instruments and accessories including music books and stands for use by the PUC Achieve Charter School located at 14 Mark Street in Rochester.
Yarn is being collected to be used for a school project. When that project is done, we will continue to collect it for distribution to other organizations that we know will use it.
Clean, worn towels and blankets that will be given to Lolly Pop Farm for use in caring for animals.
Items we DO NOT recycle
- Any items not listed above!
- Plastics #1–7 and plastic flower pots are recycled by Monroe County. There is no need to bring these items at the Market. Make sure to place them in your recycling “Blue Box” to be picked-up by your waste hauler.
- Styrofoam and other rigid foam packaging: see tip on our recycling tips page.
- Egg Containers: some farmers at the market will take them.
- Plastic grocery bags, bread bags, newspaper bags, other thin plastic bags or plastic wrap: grocery stores take them for recycling in their “plastic bag” recycling bins.
- Pills of any sort.
- Plastic containers from over the counter medications or any pill bottles that are not orange. Empty white over the counter medication bottles can be placed in your curbside recycle bin.
Market dates and locations
- For information about the Market, visit the Brighton Farmers’ Market website.