Enjoy a free drink while learning how solar works in our community. You have the power to control your energy needs and make your community a greener, cleaner place to live. SunCommon is a local, employee-owned B Corp with fifteen years experience. Being a force for good is the core of who SunCommon is and how they run their business. Come learn your solar options whether you rent or own, they have a solution for you to go solar!
- When: Wednesday, May 17, 2017, 5:30 to 7:00 PM
- Where: Zebb’s Brighton, 1890 Clinton Avenue S., Rochester, NY, 14618
- More Info: RSVP appreciated. If you have any questions please contact Mary Nicholas 585-265-2384 or email email@example.com
As a kick-off the Curb Your Car Week, Kat Fisher, New York Electric Vehicle Initiative Representative for the national Sierra Club, will present EV Basics and Advocacy Opportunities. Learn why Sierra Club supports Electric Vehicles; Learn what models are available, charging options, incentives, and how to advocate for clean car policy. Check out Electric Vehicles and ask EV owners questions. We hope you will walk, bike, or carpool to this event during Curb Your Car Week 2017! During Curb Your Car Week, ColorBrightonGreen.org asks you to replace a single occupancy car trip by walking, biking, carpooling or telecommuting.
- When: Monday, May 15, 2017, 6:30 PM
- Where: Brighton Memorial Library, 2300 Elmwood Avenue, Friends Learning Center.
- More Info: firstname.lastname@example.org Co-sponsored by the Brighton Memorial Library, ColorBrightonGreen.org, the Rochester People’s Climate Coalition, and the Sierra Club.
March right here at home in solidarity with the marchers in Washington D.C. Join with environmental movements nationwide, converging in DC and in satellite localities all over the country to make a powerful statement on Climate Change. Table displays, activities, speakers and more. This will be a family–friendly march and rally to highlight the need for changes in our government to protect our world for future generations.
- When: Saturday, April 29, 11 AM March through downtown; Rally at noon.
- Where: March Start at Rochester City Hall. Rally in Washington Square Park.
- More Info: Co-sponsored by People’s Climate Movement Rochester, Action Together Rochester, and Rochester People’s Climate Coalition. See People’s Climate Movement Facebook Page
Here is your chance to get rid of old, unused, or unwanted prescription and over-the-counter medicines. Flushing unused or expired drugs can actually lead to contamination of the water supply and end up back in your home. Proper disposal of unused and expired medicines left in your home means you know for sure that you’re doing your part to keep yourself and the environment safe. Leave all drugs in their original containers (black out patient’s name); Drive to the Brighton Town Hall and enter the Police Department driveway; Follow the signs, and hand your items to one of the collectors; Drive out, exiting from Brighton Library driveway. You will not need to leave your car and there are no forms to complete.
- When: Saturday, April 29, 10 AM to 2 PM.
- Where: Brighton Town Hall Public Safety Wing, 2300 Elmwood Avenue, Brighton, NY.
- More Info: Contact Town Councilwoman Louise Novros if you have any questions at 244-3533 or email@example.com
Charter Buses for the People’s Climate Mobilization March, Rochester to DC. Join us in Washington, DC to stand up for our communities and our climate. The Rochester People’s Climate Coalition (RPCC) is sponsoring two 56-seat buses for roundtrip travel to this critical event in Washington DC on April 29, 2017.
The March is free, but the bus trip is not.
- When: Saturday, April 29, 1 AM to Sunday, April 30, 1 AM (these times are subject to change)
- Where: Options explained on the event website.
- More Info: Event Website
Few things on earth are as miraculous and vital as seeds. Yet in our modern world, these precious gifts of nature are in grave danger. See the film about this remarkable story.
- When: Saturday, April 22, 2017, 1 PM
- Where: Seneca Art and Culture Center at Ganondagan, 7000 County Road 41, Victor, NY
- More Info and tickets: Call the Friends of Ganondagan at 585-742-1690. Film website.
The ROCWorthy Earth Fest is a celebration of sustainability and ecologically sound living. Come learn from different local businesses and nonprofits who are pioneering the movement locally for a more low impact life in Rochester.
- When: Saturday, April 22, 2017, 11 AM to 1 PM
- Where: 571 South Avenue, Rochester, NY, 14607
- More Info: Event Facebook Page. Hosted by Impact Earth, Inc, Suncommon New York, and Abundance Food Co-op.
The March for Science champions robustly funded and publicly communicated science as a pillar of human freedom and prosperity. We unite as a diverse, nonpartisan group to call for science that upholds the common good, and for political leaders and policymakers to enact responsible evidence–based policies in the public interest. Marchers will gather at Martin Luther King Jr Memorial Park at Manhattan Square at 9:30 AM on April 22nd.
At 10:30 AM, we will begin marching towards the Hyatt Regency. Upon arriving at the Hyatt, you are cordially invited to attend the first Rochester Science Expo.
- When: Saturday, April 22, 2017, 9:30 AM
- Where: Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park at Manhattan Square and Hyatt Hotel, 125 East Main Street, Rochester
- More Info and RSVP: Event Website
This year the Rochester Regional Group of the Sierra Club is bringing a distinguished advocate for environmental justice to Rochester. He is Aaron Mair, the President of the Sierra Club and a powerful speaker that can inspire our community.
- When: Thursday, April 20, 2017, 6 to 9 PM
- Where: New Bethel CME Church, 270 Scio Street, Rochester, NY 14605
- More Info: Sierra Club Newsletter; email
“Green Investing” to most people still means divestment — selling stock in companies that produce fossil fuels, especially coal, the worst for climate change. However, there are now more options to put money into companies making products or services that reduce climate change such as, solar- or wind-power producers, companies that do carbon trading or energy- efficiency management, and manufacturers of emission-cutting devices and systems.
Join us for a conversation on Green Investing with a panel of professionals from local financial institutions. Participants will learn how to invest successfully while still supporting companies with ‘green’ business practices, such as clean energy, reducing climate change, fossil fuel-free and other sustainable efforts. Additionally, participants will gain a better understanding of climate change risks and opportunities, potential investment upsides or downsides, and the increasing variety of green-focused offerings.
Anticipated panelists include:
- Thomas W. Benner, Vice President, investment and Financial Planning Officer of Canandaigua National Bank.
- Randell J. Ogden, Senior Vice President and Financial Advisor of Sage, Rutty & Company, Inc.
- Zachary T. Armstrong, Financial Advisor of Sage, Rutty & Company, Inc.
When: Wednesday April 26th, 2017 at 6:30pm
Where: Friends Learning Center, Brighton Memorial Library, 2300 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, New York