If you are interested in sustainability and in strengthening community you are invited to become a local part of a rapidly growing national and international movement. The Buy Nothing project seeks to create neighborhood gift economies, supporting the environment and strengthening person–to–person connections in the process.
Buy Nothing participants use Facebook to share items, services, and time with their neighbors. For example, if you have some well–loved but no–longer–needed dishes, you might offer these up. If you need to borrow an inflatable mattress for a guest, you might ask to borrow one. If you would like an occasional canine companion, you might ask if there’s someone whose dog would like to be walked. If you have a snowblower and are willing to use it to dig out a neighbor, you could let the group know. Buy Nothing groups are “hyperlocal”, meaning that everyone you will interact with will live near you. In this way, Buy Nothing interactions become community–enhancers as well. People who have gotten to know each other through Buy Nothing groups have formed walking groups, clubs, and cancer support groups. We are bringing back real Neighborhoods.
There are now six Buy Nothing groups in the Rochester area, and they are getting attention. Check out the recent Democrat and Chronicle article. Stay tuned for a ColorBrightonGreen fall event to promote the Buy Nothing Program. Meanwhile, if you’d like to join a Buy Nothing group, see if your home is within the confines of one of the following existing groups or explore how you can create a new group:
- Cobbs Hill/Twelve Corners/Home Acres Buy Nothing Facebook Page
- Beechwood/Homestead Heights/Culver-Winton Buy Nothing Facebook Page
- Park Avenue Buy Nothing Facebook Page
- South Wedge/Swillburg/Highland Park Buy Nothing Facebook Page
- Pittsford Buy Nothing Facebook Page
- East Irondequoit Buy Nothing Facebook Page
- Corn Hill/Exchange/Plymouth Buy Nothing Facebook Page
- Fairport Buy Nothing Facebook Page
- Spencerport Buy Nothing Facebook Page
- If you don’t live in the areas described above, you can learn how to start your own group here.