Cut your grass with a push mower instead of a gas mower
The exercise is good for you. You won’t breathe the noxious exhaust fumes. You won’t have to pay for gas. The roller effect is good for the grass. And, instead of annoying your neighbors with that loud gas motor, you’ll serenade them with the sweet whirring blades.
Use a battery powered mower
Some comparative findings about battery-operated vs. gas mowers include that:
- A gas mower produces the equivalent pollution to a car traveling at 50 mph.
- The EPA reports that mowers are responsible for nearly 5% of the nation’s air pollution.
- 800 million gallons of gasoline are used for lawn mowers in the US every year.
- Gas-powered mowers send over 1,800 times the hydrocarbons into the atmosphere when compared to battery-powered mowers.
- Over 17 million gallons of gas are spilled each year refueling lawn and garden equipment–more petroleum than was spilled by the Exxon Valdez.