The momentum for energy efficiency, environmental sustainability and economic security is growing right here in the town of Brighton, New York.
ColorBrightonGreen.org, a non-profit organization, supports business, municipal, school, and residential energy reduction measures in our town, in concert with climate protection efforts by other towns and cities across the country.
Through community education and simple, thoughtful actions, our goal is to reduce local greenhouse gas emissions by at least 10% and make our own little piece of the world cleaner.
- Climate Action at the Local, State, and Federal Levels (1/3/2017) - Wednesday, January 25, 2017, 6:30 PM, Brighton Memorial Library. There are currently actions that can be taken at the local and State level to fight climate change, and there is a need to coalesce people to lobby for carbon fee and dividend at the federal level. Representatives of the Rochester People’s Climate Coalition will be … Continue reading Climate Action at the Local, State, and Federal Levels
- Composting (11/6/2016) - The original, do-it-yourself green activity. Recycle your yard and kitchen wastes and create great organic material for your garden and lawn. You’ll keep 500-600 pounds of waste from going to the landfill each year! Organic matter does not decay in a landfill, where it produces methane, which is 20 times more warming than CO2. Just … Continue reading Composting
- Green Your Battery Choices (11/1/2016) - Review this information about alkaline and rechargeable batteries and seriously consider using and recycling rechargeable batteries.
- Curb Your Car Week Spring 2016 Results (6/3/2016) - The Spring 2016 Curb Your Car Week event took place the week of May 15-21, 2016. During that week, 39 residents from Brighton and Rochester registered their pledge to walk, bike, carpool or ride the bus for at least a day as an alternative to drive their car. Survey Results (39 registered participants, 25 reporting … Continue reading Curb Your Car Week Spring 2016 Results
- Consider These Facts Before Buying or Using A Leaf Blower (6/1/2016) - Leaf blower use on lawns, gardens, driveways is a source of pollution and noise that can significantly impact our environment and health. In addition, the use of hot, dry winds directed at plants desiccates roots and leaves, while drying and stripping away top soil. Noise pollution may be the first problem for those anywhere near … Continue reading Consider These Facts Before Buying or Using A Leaf Blower