The momentum for energy efficiency, environmental sustainability and economic security is growing right here in the town of Brighton, New York.
ColorBrightonGreen.org, a non-profit organization, supports business, municipal, school, and residential energy reduction measures in our town, in concert with climate protection efforts by other towns and cities across the country.
Through community education and simple, thoughtful actions, our goal is to reduce local greenhouse gas emissions by at least 10% and make our own little piece of the world cleaner.
- ColorBrightonGreen.org supports Community Choice Aggregation! (9/9/2017) - Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) is a bulk energy purchasing program intended to lower costs and transition to greater use of renewable energy for residents and small businesses in cities, towns, and villages that decide to participate. As a member of the Rochester People’s Climate Coalition (RPCC), ColorBrightonGreen.org has committed to support this program because of the … Continue reading ColorBrightonGreen.org supports Community Choice Aggregation!
- Buy Nothing Groups (8/30/2017) - Buy Nothing Groups are being organized throughout the greater Rochester area. Group members trade goods and services, lend each other equipment, and give away surplus items to other neighbors who need them. To find a group in your neighborhood, search “buy nothing group rochester ny.”
- Curb Your Car Week Spring 2017 Results (6/28/2017) - The Spring 2017 Curb Your Car Week event took place the week of May 14-20, 2017. During that week 74 residents from the Rochester region registered their pledge to walk, bike, carpool, or ride the bus for at least a day as an alternative to driving their car. Survey Results 70 registered participants, 23 reporting … Continue reading Curb Your Car Week Spring 2017 Results
- Using a Clothes Line Instead of a Dryer (6/11/2017) - Our clothes dryers are the third biggest energy gobblers in our homes (after the furnace and hot water heater). Hanging some or all of our wash on an indoor or outdoor line is good exercise. Every dryer load skipped saves as much energy (and emissions) as not driving 5 miles in a conventional car. If … Continue reading Using a Clothes Line Instead of a Dryer
- Benefits of Buying Local Food (5/18/2017) - Food transportation accounts for 18% of the fossil fuel burned in the US. By eating local, we support local farmers and reduce oil consumption. We can ask our grocer which foods are local. By joining a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), we can support local farmers by paying a yearly fee for in-season produce for the … Continue reading Benefits of Buying Local Food